Information: See our privacy policy. This site does not issue visas or eTAs, only information. We are not part of an official government agency

Visa for Canada


When to apply for an eTA travel authorisation?

As part of preparing for a trip to Canada, it is essential to obtain a Canadian Travel Authorization before boarding. For a stay of less than 6 months in Canada : You can carry out the formalities for entering Canada directly via the Internet by clicking on the online form.

It is not necessary to obtain an appointment at the Canadian embassy or consulate.

The Canadian Travel Authorization is considered relatively easy to obtain. What are the delays to be expected and the precautions to be taken to avoid the risk of being refused entry to Canada.

Since when and why request an eTA?

Since November 10, 2016, the Government of Canada (the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship of Canada to be more precise) has introduced an electronic travel authorization called eTA (or eTA in English), in order to to guarantee the internal security of the country while promoting tourism in Canada.

The AVE is obtained by an online form which:

The electronic systems put in place make it possible to select travelers even before they arrive on Canadian soil.

When is an eTA needed?

An eTA application is mandatory for visa-exempt travelers wishing to travel to Canada as part of a tourist stay or a business trip of less than 6 months by air. It is also required for transit through Canada.

The visa waiver is for nationals whose country of origin has signed an agreement with the Canadian government. French nationals are among the lucky ones, but they must have a valid passport (biometric or electronic passport).

Having a valid passport and an eTA does not exempt you from having other travel documents such as the travel document. An exit ticket from the territory (return or onward ticket) will probably be requested by the immigration officer.

Note that if you have been selected for a PVT (Working Holiday Permit), the AVE is normally automatically issued to you. Check with the Canadian Embassy.

When to apply online?

We advise you to complete the travel authorization form as soon as your trip to Canada is planned. Do not wait until the last minute, because if your request for authorization is refused, you will need to apply for a Canadian visa. However, this process is longer and more expensive.

The application form can be completed on the official website of the Canadian government. If you want to get help and reduce the risks, we advise you to fill out our partner’s form.

To complete the eTA form, you will need to fill in your passport data (passport number, date of issue and expiry), your personal information, details of your stay in Canada and finally your background.

When will I receive a response to my eTA application?

Generally, the delay for obtaining an eTA is a few minutes after sending the form. You first receive an acknowledgment of receipt from Immigration Canada and then a second email with the response to your request. However, the response may take several days.

You can also check the status of your application on the government website by entering your application number (which you will find in the acknowledgment of receipt) and your passport number.

If you have not received an acknowledgment within 72 hours, contact the Canadian authorities. No need to try to travel to Canada without an authorization, you will not even be able to board the plane.

eTA authorization request refused

An eTA request is refused as long as you do not meet one of the eligibility criteria. If you are not eligible, you must apply for a visa through the consular services of the Canadian Embassy or the Canadian Consulate, as the case may be. The Canada visa to apply for depends on the nature of your trip.

When your ESTA application is refused, you can also check that you have not made a mistake in the application form. If so, you are entitled to reapply.

When should I renew my eTA application?

The period of validity of an eTA is 5 years or until the expiry of the passport, if the validity of the passport is less than this period. During the years of validity of your eTA, you can visit Canada several times, without having to apply for a new eTA and provided you respect the maximum stay period of 6 months.

Since the eTA is linked to the passport, it goes without saying that a new request for authorization will have to be made in the event of a new passport. The new request follows the same process of obtaining as the first request.